7.04.2009

ALS, Lou Gehrig, Michael Goldsmith, Heroes, America

Happy Independence Day! I thought I'd share this with everyone. Below is a story on Michael Goldsmith, one of the great professors of law that this nation has been blessed with. A few years ago, Professor Goldsmith was diagnosed with ALS--more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, named for the famous baseball player who wore the pinstripes of the New York Yankees before being forced out of baseball as the disease began to ravage his body. I can't express how much I adore Professor Goldsmith, and how proud I am to have learned at his feet and watched him take this cause from a small seed of an idea to its culmination today. Please check out the MLB's new website dedicated to ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) here. And PLEASE watch the video below. It will explain everything.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Professor Goldsmith threw out the first pitch at the Yankees game today, July 4, 2009. The NYT did a fabulous piece on the event, here. It's the first time in my life I can honestly say I was a Yankee at heart. Professor Goldsmith, you are one of the greatest teachers I've ever had. Thank you for teaching me to be a "Can Do Person." I'll never be able to fully repay the favor, but I'll do my best to live up to your expectations. UPDATE: Here's an alternate version of the piece that appeared on the NBC Nightly News on July 4, 2009.

5 comments:

t.t.turner said...

Thanks for sharing that, Eric. Taylor had no idea how fast he had been deteriorating, and it was neat to see you too!

Shelly! said...

Amazing.

I did not really know much about ALS until my friend ran the Hawaii Ironman on behalf of his friend with ALS. His friend had run it the year before - the first with ALS to ever run and complete the race - and the next year his body had almost completely shut down.

I feel so inspired by him, and your Professor.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post. We have a very dear friend that was diagnosed with Lou Gehrigs a few years ago. It's hard to see such a horrible condition attack such wonderful people. It's also inspiring to see how those people tackle such a horrific circumstance.

Andrew said...

Thanks Eric. Mr. Goldsmith seems like a great person. I love how initially his reaction to the disease was very much human but then quickly transformed into something both courageous and with an eye to future generations. That's probably the greatest lesson he could ever teach.

And talk about an eloquent student! ;)

MCQ said...

Thanks to author.

Great big THANKS to Michael Goldsmith:)