1.07.2009

I Love this Guy

Let's hear it for Dan Wetzel, everyone. (My apologies to Dan for the teeny profile picture). [!!!CLAPS!!!] Check this finely written article on the Utes stunning victory over Alabama last week. Wetzel may be the best journalistic voice out there on the faux athletic debauchery that is the Bowl Championship Series. To add to his credibility, he has been a vocal advocate for a college football playoff for years, he is not a Mountain West or WAC homer (writing for yahoo.com and being based in Detroit, Mich.), and he earned brownie points in my book when he didn't hesitate in championing the Utes' cause for National Champion consideration. Bless you, Dan. Bless you. Shifting gears from Utah to Alabama. Poor Alabama. How would you love to play for Nick Saban? :D Speaking of love, how much do I love that Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff (my some-time employer) is looking into investigating the BCS for violating federal antitrust laws? Enough to declare that amidst my own busy schedule, I'm totally tempted to look into that one myself or somehow wriggle my way into researching it for Mark. If he's reading this, how 'bout it? In all seriousness, I don't know that an antitrust case can be brought. The issues are complex and sticky--particularly in the instance of a State being the plaintiff. Beyond that, I'm pretty certain the Congress launched a full-scale investigation into this very subect during the early years of the BCS (2002? Someone correct me?). As I remember it, the investigation failed to trigger any kind of antitrust action. The issue may be more ripe now, however. You just never know. If, and that's a big "if", an antitrust suit can be filed, succeeds at the trial level, and makes it to a Court of Appeals, you can bet the farm that I'll be drafting and submitting my own amicus brief to that court. It would be totally worth the research. TOTALLY. And with that, I have just revealed the astounding level of "law geekhood" I have attained. Welcome to the last semester of law school. Law Geek Score: 93/100. NEW ADDENDUM: This is another Guy that I love. Check out his article in the Washington Post. NEW NEW ADDENDUM (Jan. 7, 2009): Here's my latest Utah Man Crush: Rick Reilly. Longtime Sports Illustrated columnist, award-winning journalist. Can you feel the momentum? I think a sea change may just be around the corner...

1 comment:

AlliSMiles said...

um...too much loving of men. what is the status of your woman?